Dan,

I've always been curious how gmail threads these emails together.  It can't
> be (just) by subject,

Most emails have numerous "headers" which are not typically displayed by
email clients.  Threading clients use some of these headers to help
coorelate messages.

If you examine the headers on a new subject, you will find fewer headers
than those in replies.  Which headers get added in a reply seem to be vary
with the email client used.  Some add a "References" header then lists the
"message-ID" value from the previous message(s).  Some add "Thread-Topic"
and the text of the original subject.  Some add "Thread-Index" and a value
though I'm not sure how it is derived.

I have always liked how Agent (www.forteinc.com)  performs threading in
emails and lists, though I do use gmail for these lists with mixed emotions
about it vs Agent.

Doug