On 12/5/05, Mark Allen <allenmar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> looking for recommendations would prefer to buy "everything" from one source:
>   Cost is a primary consideration also
>
>   1.  Use will be 80% internet access from home, mostly email, IM,web
> browsing, connect to remote iSeries.
>   2.  Need 17" monitor prefer 19" but space an issue as is cost (?) for a
> flat panel?
>   3.  60 GB preferred as minimum disk
>   4.  Mostly will be running MS Office stuff from the PC side (Powerpoint,
> Access, Excel, Word,maybe some web page design)
>   5.  no need for DVD but need CD R/W (mostly for archive/backups)
>   6.  No need for ethernet capability (yet)
>   7.  At least 1 USB port for connecting a "thumb" drive

Pretty much anything you buy now will have on-board ethernet.  The
space difference between the 17" and 19" flat panel is negligible, but
the user experience improvement is tremendous.  I would spend the
dough if you can afford it.

I have had good luck purchasing Dell systems for home use.  I have
recommended Dell to several family members without regret.  One can
frequently get excellent deals from them, particularly if you are
purchasing a generation or two back from the bleeding edge.  Sometimes
the "small business" path on their site yields better pricing or
options than the home user path.  You can customer memory, disk space
to your hearts content.  I strongly suggest upgrading the warranty
past the default 90 day.

Dell also has an online "outlet" for refurbished and returned systems.

Have fun!
Good luck.

--
Tom Jedrzejewicz