http://k7.net/ is a free service, but doesn't meet the qualifications
of a local number. They email all of your voicemails to an email
address. Gmail would make the perfect archive system for this. ;-)
<plug>I am using it for my podcast [1] The Riverbend
(http://theriverbendpodcast.com) and while I haven't had and
voicemails yet, other podcasters use this service as well and sounds
great</plug>

Hey you checked out skype or gizmo project, they both do voicemail.

[1] For those living in the stoneage, a podcast is a downloadable
radio show in the form of an mp3 file that you can play on computers
or MP3 players. Podcast = iPod + webcast.