>Kill me now.

Hmmmmmm.....  :)

Joe, you're asking performance questions, and you know the answer to all
performance questions is "it depends." Seriously, what's better for a
server is not necessarily what's better for a single user, and beyond
that, what's better for sequential IO (like a log file) is not
necessarily what's better for random IO. And what's better for read is
not necessarily better for write. And what's better for large-block IO
is not necessarily what's better for small block IO, so in short, it
depends.

If I understand all the proposals you've posted you're looking at a
single logical drive (C:). From a performance point of view you should
also consider separating your machine into two, or ideally three, sets
of spindles, one for system & program, one for swap and one for data.
Obviously these spindles could be a combination of RAID 0, 1 and 5.

FWIW, my machine at home is a 10K SATA drive for system & Program (no
raid, if I loose it I reinstall), two RAID 0 drives for SWAP/TEMP
(again, if I loose a drive I'm toast) but I gain the speed from RAID 0
and data resides on a mirrored pair of drives.

Stop asking "it depends" questions, and buy the darn machine. Unless you
run it side-by-side with one of configured another way you'll never know
if you have the best, worse, or just an average configuration anyway, so
just tell yourself that the one you pick is the fastest and move on.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11