John, I am seeing at least part of the problem.  I'm going to cross-post
this to WDSCI-L and see if we can't get some input from the team.

What I see is that V5.1.2.5 runs like a dream, with nary a hiccup.  On
my machine, editing a 3000 line file has no problems with block insert,
single-line insert, or scrolling.  I can hold my arrow down and smoothly
scroll through the entire document, with perhaps a rare, very short
pause.

On V6.0.0.1, while the cut/paste doesn't exhibit the same issues you are
seeing, scrolling and inserting have definitely suffered.  It's
intermittent, as well, which is really annoying.  Sometimes scrolling is
smooth, sometimes it pauses for nearly a second.  Inserting a line is
either instantaneous, or it takes 2-3 seconds per line inserted.
Sometimes a couple of undo's will make the insertion problem go away,
sometimes not.

Joe