Hi Rick,

I've got one big drive, but I' partitioned it into several chunks: one for
O/S and programs, one for data that I use regularly, one for little-used
or easy-to recover data (e.g. I like to copy CDs to disk before installing
them, so I put them there; also downloaded programs).

I know I run a risk if the whole drive dies (knock on wood, I've been
lucky), but I figure the main risk is on the "regular data" partition
(since all the others are recoverable), and I'd run that risk anyway if it
was on a separate drive. OTOH, having it all one one partition makes
backups easy -- I can still fit a ZIP copy on a CD pretty easily, and
since I got a laptop last year I've been trying to keep the two systems in
sync (more backup).

The main advantage for me was that I could wipe out the O/S every year or
so and reinstall it, without touching the data, which I found usually
speeded things up considerably -- partly because I only reinstalled the
programs I was actually still using. Since I've gone to XP, though, I
haven't bothered -- I'm afraid it would just take too long, what with
service packs, etc.

PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>I am especially interested in the comments about dual boot drives and
>separation of programs and data.
>

>Rick Chevalier

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst