Chuck,

I've seen this several times.

First try reinstalling XP without wiping everything out. Try to use a CD with SP2 (Autostreamer and another PC with a burner will let you create one) especially if it already has SP2 on it to avoid other problems. Boot the CD and tell it you want to install XP but not reformat or delete. When it says that Windows is already in a directory (Windows or Winnt depending on who setup the original install) tell it that you want to use it instead of another or new directory. It should lay right over the top of itself and keep all configurations/installed programs in place. While you can step up to SP2 this way I don't think you can use it to step up from Home to Professional without losing the accounts, configurations and installed programs.

I've had this work and been able to download Windows Updates without a reoccurrence. I had one PC that even this didn't work on. Had to tell the install to use another directory and after copying what I needed out of the original directory deleted the rest of it.

My research showed that this can be caused by Malware as well as a bad Windows Update. From the users I have seen this happen to I really think it was some Malware (or a LOT OF MALWARE) they got from a web site rather than a Windows Update.

Roger Vicker, CCP