From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 8:58 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Need some Help with Bandwidth problems...

On the web find the free version of Spybot or Adaware (or both) to find
programs phoning home.
Most antvirus miss these. Even your antivirus may be checking for updates.
Windows messenger service also phones home, checking windows update.
Scan google for "windows messenger" on how to cancel.
Look at each pc - see what's in the tray at bottom of desktop. Look for
stock tickers,
weather updates, internet radio, and of course porn... Some screen savers
are communicating
with "home".
I like Zone Alarm software firewall. Tell it to ask permission for
everything and then watch how many times it will come up and ask to
communicate..
hth
jim