Typically, backing up from within Windows will NOT backup everything.  As I
understand it, any files "locked" / "in use" by Windows cannot be allocated
and, therefore, is not backed up.  You seem to imply that you have
"reloaded" from a "copy (of) the hard drive", so I don't know if this
applies or not.

This was touched on a month or two ago on this list, so you might want to
check the archives, but I'd recommend for the paranoid to look at the
shareware products found at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/.  I have been
using the DOS IMAGE and it works very well, both on the save & the restore
side.  The 30-day trials are full-featured.

hth,
db