I would hope he would be able to understand it. ;)

Typically it is done host side because, when you build the connection,
routing tables are passed down (should be) to your computer.  They probably
just went the easy way out and set th default route to the VPN interface,
whereas the IP addresses for their network should only be attributed to your
VPN.

Ok ... basic routing example

Ok, say the initial default gateway, given from your cable company, is
60.61.50.51.  Your computer knows to send all network packets that doin't
have a specific rule for them, to that address.  That is the address fo a
rotuer and then it finds out where to properly route the packets.

Now, you create your VPN.  You get a virtual network card created.  The
computer you conencted to is a router as well.  Say it is 10.11.8.9.

Also, let's say your company uses the ip address 10.10.10.20 for the iSeries
machine.

When connected to the VPN, it should drop a routing entry to your computer
that says "route all packets for 10.10.10.20 to the router at 10.11.8.9".

So now, if a packet is destined for the iSeries, it goes over the VPN,
otehrwise it goes over the cable modem.