> 1) Does the mere presence of IE make it "hazardous"
> or do you actually have to use it to be vulnerable?

My understanding is that IE is so tightly integrated with the OS that
it can be difficult to tell when you are using IE.

> 2) Is anyone using Firefox?

Yes, right this moment.  I like it a lot, but there are a few sites
that only work with IE.  Thankfully, those sites are becoming more
Moz-friendly.

> 3) Does Firefox have an email client (yet)?

Yes, Thunderbird.  Works pretty well for email and newsgroups.

> Anyway, it seems as though I was somewhat
> protected by using Win95 because all of the
> vulnerabilities that were being exploited were
> "newer" technology that MS added in after Win95

While true that some of the exploits are only present in 98 and above,
there are tons of exploits that work on 95.

> I am connected to the internet via cable with
> a Gigafast router/firewall, and I use Norton AV
> and Spybot.  Is it a fair question to
> ask whether I am in good shape?

It's a fair question.  I wish I had a definitive answer.  I'm DSL via
a D-Link router that does NAT.  I haven't seen much getting through
Norton Internet Security and AV, Spybot and Ad-Aware.  So I hope that
we are both in good shape!
  --buck