I also got hit by related quirks in Excel.

If it is not putting quote marks around your field, check to see what it does when there are quotes in the data.

Also, when you save to a tab-delimited text file, usually my personal preference, when there is any comma or quote in there it will put quotes around that column in the .txt file, and any quotes inside will be doubled up.

But does it distinguish all this when it reads it back in? Ooh, No. It will keep the quotes around that column. However, if I strip the quotes back out with RPG, download tab-delimited to the PC, then import to Excel, it has no problem.

Surprises abound.

Alan

Jeff Crosby wrote:

I'm trying to save a spreadsheet in .csv format. The problem is Excel does not put quotation marks around alpha fields. Is there a way to make Excel do that? Office 2000.

Ha! I did it another way. Downloaded and installed OpenOffice. Opened the .xls file, did a Save As .csv, it asked me what to use as delimiters, and Voila!