This may or may not help...  I read something in Maximum PC (a truly cool
magazine, btw) a couple months ago about how to configure your PC to get
the best performance.  If I remember correctly they were advocating not
putting both hard drives on the primary IDE controller and both optical
drives on the secondary.  Rather, they recommended putting each hard drives
as masters on each controller and each optical drive as the secondary.  I
think that it had to do with transfer rates.  That said, when I built my
latest PC this past February I was going to try that but the cables
wouldn't reach for that configuration so I can't comment if it helps or
not.

Another option would be to check settings in the Power Options in the
Control Panel.  I used to have a hard drive in a P-II system that would
power down after the idle period but wouldn't power back up.  You had to
reboot to get it to spin back up again.  Like this situation it was fine as
long as you kept using it.  Hope this helps.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Bruce Barrett

                      <bruce.barrett@pm        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
                      igroup.com>               <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB

                                               cc:

                      05/12/2004 01:18         Subject:  RE: [PCTECH] DVD
problem
                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

                      <pctech@midrange.

                      com>

EIDE 0 (Primary): 80 GB disk as master, 200 GB disk as slave EIDE 1
(Secondary): DVD READER as master, DVD RW as slave

Bruce Barrett