Alan,

I don't recall having to download Composer from the package manager.  I just pulled it online.  I installed BookStack on my IBM i a year or so ago and it required Laravel at the time I installed it (it's since been deprecated) but I did use Composer and it continues to be a BookStack requirement.  So I think you can just download and install it without the package manager.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
GIAC Cloud Penetration Tester