Okay, now I'm totally confused.

Let's assume, as in your example, your client's system is *sysname*

Are you saying that when you sit at your local workstation and type:
*ssh -v -v -v bvstone@sysname*
all that you get on the screen is:

*OpenSSH_8.0p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019 debug1: Reading configuration
data /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/SC1/OpenSSH/etc/ssh_config debug2:
resolve_canonicalize: hostname sysname is address debug2:
ssh_connect_direct debug1: Connecting to sysname [sysname] port 22.*
???
If so, when is the last time they restarted their SSHD?

*ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*SSHD)STRTCPSVR SERVER(*SSHD)*

My other suggestion is if you are fiddling with this from Windows, try it
from Linux.

OpenSSH_8.0p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019

debug1: Reading configuration data
/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/SC1/OpenSSH/etc/ssh_config
debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname sysname is address

debug2: ssh_connect_direct

debug1: Connecting to sysname [sysname] port 22.

That's all it does. On my system it logs a bunch of stuff and allows me to
enter my password.

If I telnet to the system on port 22 I get the following:
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_8.0