Let's do one more check to make sure you have the right binary (needs
coreutils-gnu) installed:
/QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/readlink -f /QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/npm

"Steve M" <txpenguin1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 10/16/2020 01:28:50 PM:

From: "Steve M" <txpenguin1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Jesse Gorzinski'" <jgorzins@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'IBMi Open Source
Roundtable'" <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'Calvin Buckley'" <calvin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'OpenSource'"
<opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/16/2020 01:28 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: [IBMiOSS] NPM Issue

I have more information now on the issue, but I am no closer to a
resolution. I set up...

This Message Is From an External Sender

I have more information now on the issue, but I am no closer to a
resolution.

I set up the following environment variables:
QIBM_MULTI_THREADED = 'Y'
PASE_STDIO_ISATTY = 'N'

Then I ran these two commands:
QSH CMD('node -v')
Command ended normally with exit status 0.
QSH CMD('npm -v')
Command ended normally with exit status 133.

Here were the results:
v12.18.4
Press ENTER to end terminal session.
qsh: 001-0078 Process ended by signal 5.
Press ENTER to end terminal session.

When I run the same two “-v” checks inside of QP2TERM, they return
the same success/failure, respectively.

I researched the signal number shown above on this page: https://

www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-determine-meaning-qshell-exit-status-or-signal

When the exit status is greater than 128, the command ended by a
signal. To determine the signal number, you would take the exit
status received and subtract 128. For instance, a typical exit
status received is 133. If 128 is subtracted, a signal number of 5
is received. In order to determine the meaning of the signal, you
can refer to the sys/signal.h header file on the IBM i server. To
display the header file, you can execute the WRKMBRPDM FILE(QSYSINC/
SYS) MBR(SIGNAL) command and enter Option 5 to display the file.
Scrolling down through the file, you will find several #define
statements which define a token with a value. In this case, the
value is the numerical signal and the token is the symbolic signal
name. A more descriptive definition of the signal is included to the
right between the /* and */ comment indicators. If you refer back to
the exit status of 133, it was determined that the signal for this
exit status is 5. Using the sys/signal.h header file, it can be
determined that signal 5 translates to a SIGSEGV signal which
equates to an invalid memory reference. This information can then be
used in searches to find a matching issue or supplied to Development
to assist in problem determination.

Okay, so now I know that when I try to do anything with NPM it is
creating an invalid memory reference error.

Anyone ever had this happen or seen this? It is becoming an
obstacle to doing things on our Dev LPAR.

Thanks,

Steve