In a regular CLP, you can do RTVJOBA USRLIBL(&MYVAR) to load MYVAR
with an array of library names. As the help indicates, each library
name will be left-justified in an (implied) 11-character field, thus
ensuring that each name has at least one blank space separating it
from the next.

Well, that's not what happens when I use XMLSERVICE via python-itoolkit.

This is what I get (printing 50 characters at a time):

Total character length: 219
'QTEMP DEVDTA DEVEXE TSTDTA TSTEXE '
' PRDTMP PRDWRK PRDDTA PRDHST ML'
'LIBR MLCTRL RMSGL200 RMSGL# RMSMM# T'
'OTALLIB MISEXE IQ400LIB SV5 MMAIL '
' CURBSTONE QGPL'

What it should be:

Total character length: 231
'QTEMP DEVDTA DEVEXE TSTDTA TSTEXE'
' PRDTMP PRDWRK PRDDTA PRDHST M'
'LLIBR MLCTRL RMSGL200 RMSGL# RMSMM# '
' TOTALLIB MISEXE IQ400LIB SV5 MM'
'AIL CURBSTONE QGPL '

It's no big deal if there is trimming going on at the very end of the
whole string (after QGPL), but the fact that TSTDTA is sitting in
effectively a 10-character field, and especially that MLCTRL is
effectively in a 7-char field, is kind of scary to me. How do I know
that I can count on always having at least one blank space between
names, with no names cut off, overlapping, or joined together?

If there's ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS at least one space to separate the
names, then it's fine. Python's split() method is tailor-made for
that. But I'm not very confident that this is always the case.

John Y.