One potential use case would be a facilitator for a strangler pattern style migration. You could port elements of an existing legacy code base bit by bit to a new architecture or paradigm by first migrating ILE COBOL to GnuCOBOL, then moving this GnuCOBOL code to e.g. GNU/Linux on AWS and do this with each individual component of your application until you're fully migrated.

/y

-----Original Message-----
From: OpenSource <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Kelly Cookson
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2019 6:38 PM
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] [EXTERNAL] Re: [ANN] GnuCOBOL for IBM i

I understand that developers have all kinds of reasons for using different tools in different situations. I am genuinely curious:

Why would a developer choose to use GnuCOBOL in PASE instead of COBOL/400 in the IBM i 7.x operating system?

What advantages would one gain from using GnuCOBOL in PASE over COBOL/400 in the IBM i 7.x operating system?

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
Senior Software Engineer II
Dot Foods, Inc.