On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 7:09 PM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My super-nice-to-have feature would be for Python calls to be wrapped
in such a way that stderr (which is where the tracebacks go, by
default) goes into the text of a CPF9898. I got the feeling that
Richard's more elaborate Python wrapper could probably be adapted to
do this.

I should note that the particulars of this may be tricky. The most
critical issue is that the size of stderr is unbounded, whereas I'm
pretty sure CPF9898 has a fixed (and comparatively small) maximum
size. So it would be important to (1) just get the tail of the
traceback into the CPF* message, and (2) also send the full traceback
somewhere, most likely the job log or a spooled file. There are other
niggling things, like error messages sometimes counting on a certain
character alignment on the screen, but presumably you can get that
kind of stuff from the "proper" full form once you've accommodated
(2).

John Y.

This thread ...