There seems to be some new open source projects starting up with intent to replace XMLSERVICE, so nothing official or near imminent I don't think.

Personally I would say improve on XMLSERVICE rather than do a full re-write, but I didn't create XMLSERVICE. I just use it so I don't know the complexity.

For now I would say for open source stuff the XMLSERVICE component seems to be the correct go-to unless there's already a native DB2 interface like I think PHP has and of course Java has as well with JT400.

In the case of a general PASE ibmdb2 layer, I'm just thinking about a consistent layer that can be used by all open source languages, not just .Net. DB2 connect seems to be the right answer for this, but it's not "officially supported" to run on IBMi. I installed the AIX version with a few hacks and it works somewhat (still working out kinks) with the unixODBC stuff for .Net.

However the "not officially supported" always lingers 😊

Until more time can be spent on DB2 Connect, XMLSERVICE seems pretty stable and it's fast from my usage so far with and without .Net on i.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 2
date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 20:14:31 +0000
from: Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] XMLSERVICE, RPGLE & Java error

Hi Richard,

I had not heard that IBM was thinking about deprecating and replacing XMLSERVICE. I'll keep an eye out for any news about that.

Just out of curiosity, would the "AIX style ibmdb2 layer" you have in mind be something that other languages running on PASE could use (e.g., JS with Node or Python)? Or would it be specific to .NET via the Mono port?

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
Senior Software Engineer II
Dot Foods, Inc.