on the subject of UI routing and in reference to your point about multiple ports versus routing i would concur with Jim Steils point about using a routing framework, or the routing capabilities built into the framework you use (REACT/VUE/Ember etc)

using multiple ports will have a potentially significant infrastructure and security overhead.

when you scale into hundreds of screens with potentially thousands of users the definition of “app” becomes relevant. The most effective (no approach is perfect) method we found for isolating tangled legacy screens and programs, was to isolate a business function, find the entry point screen in the application and then map all called screens and programs down from there. we used X-Analysis to do this in a partially automated way so we could could look at the whole application before subdivision and app decisions were made during refactoring/reengineering.

on smaller applications we tend to use built in routing (whatever comes with the UI framework in use) but on larger scale business apps, building custom routing framework paid dividends, because as deployment or failsafe switchovers changes occurred it was necessary to automate global route changes on occasion.

Stuart

Stuart Milligan
Cell SA: +27 61 651 7074
Dir SA: +27 (0)21 012 5078