The git clone method seems cool if you simply want to copy the source and the app definition and then let the rest of the baggage for the app deployment fill in on the fly.

Sometimes, like for a commercial app, you might want to deploy all the files together in a distribution package.

Seems that either way should work, but that's how I see the difference.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 15:13:00 -0600
from: Brian P Randle <brianprandle@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] Deploy Node?

Earlier in this thread Aaron said:

Another approach is to 'git clone...' the project to the deployment
directory and then run 'npm init' to install all the dependencies
listed in package.json. The purpose of package.json and
package-lock.json is to keep from having to store the node_modules in git.

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces

?npm would be used to download all of the node packages and dependencies that are in your package.json file?, those would be the files and directories in your node_modules directory.

Those node packages could be installed globally on production first, so they would not have to be downloaded for every app. Nowadays 5mb is really a small amount of disk and managing a global directory presents other issues with managing multiple versions of the same node module.

So, copying the entire app directory including the node_modules would work fine, or pushing the app to git then using git clone in the deployment directory then getting using npm update could be used. Either way you will end up with the node_modules directory populated.

Brian Randle