So, here is what I ended up doing to get the install to run:

Temporarily renamed /QOpenSys/opt/freeware/lib/libssl.a AND /QOpenSys/opt/freeware/lib/libcrypto.a As Bryan noted, there are two files that the install will choke on: libssl.a and libcrypto.a

I linked to the correct libraries in /QOpenSys/usr/lib:

ln -s /QOpenSys/usr/lib/libssl.a /QOpenSys/opt/freeware/lib/libssl.a

ln -s /QOpenSys/usr/lib/libcrypto.a /QOpenSys/opt/freeware/lib/libcrypto.a

Then I ran the installer program and it succeeded

I have a feeling that if I return the files to their original names and places, MariaDB will no longer START based on where the install error occurred:
Message . . . . : Member libssl.so.0 not found in PASE for i archive .
Cause . . . . . : The error occurred attempting to load PASE for i program
/usr/local//mariadb-10.1.12-os400-powerpc/bin/mysqld. Recovery . . . :

Seems like the startup script chokes if the libraries aren't correct...not sure but given where the error occurred, it would make sense.

For the Zend folks, they have some issues to resolve on the install methinks.....

Thanks for the pointer, Bryan.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java