I agree with John, there is different audience for different shows.

When i took a deeper look into PUB1 about one year ago, 95% of the users
were doing SQL/RPG/CL - even CGI/RPG or other neat stuff. Some played with PHP
as it has been installed but never tested. The mails we get with general
questions cover the availability of Free/RPG, SQL etc. Some ask for
administrative access - so we can offer chroot in form of an LPAR :)

chroot does not affect the user in any way when working in QSYS.LIB so
i think it is not for PUB400.COM users but for people just wanting to
combine unixoid stuff with IBM i stuff…

anyway - techniques like chroot or containers (see the docker discussions
on other forums) mostly are a good idea to save some ressources or to
quickly assign new environments (for example you run some web service and
the number of users increases to one million within one hour or so ;-)

We are working on creating LPARs automatically - but to be honest, each
environment is quite unique so most setup is manual work for our team.

To get back to the discussion: chroot is a nice thing, but it limits you
to work which (to be honest again) also can be done in the *X world…

-h