"OpenSource" <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/12/2016
08:31:11 AM:

From: Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/12/2016 08:31 AM
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] AIX Toolbox gets more stuff, YUM anyone?
Sent by: "OpenSource" <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok, so YUM won't work, that's a bummer, but we can still capitalize on
the
rpms being delivered by AIX Toolbox. Incremental progress.

*>I prefer zypper: https://github.com/openSUSE/zypper
<https://github.com/openSUSE/zypper>*

Have you used zypper on IBM i? Does IBM have something in the works
that
you can share with us so we don't waste time heading down unfruitful
paths?

Have I tried zypper on IBM i? No, but I've looked in to building it. It
requires quite a number of dependencies. Here's the spec file:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/zypp:Head/zypper/zypper.spec?expand=1

I don't have anything further to share other than what *I'd* like to see
happen. This is not official IBM anything and I don't know if it will ever
happen internally.

What I'd love to see is getting our own version of RPM built and get the
Open Build Service working on IBM i. The Open Build Service was developed
by SUSE to make it easy to build RPMs. It's used to build openSUSE and
also all the SUSE Linux Enterprise offerings. The website is at
http://openbuildservice.org/ Anyone can play around with it using the
"reference server" at https://build.opensuse.org/ There's also a command
line client (osc) that lets you interact with packages using a
git/svn-like interface. You check out a package, make changes, run a build
and then push your changes up to the server.

From there, it sees that a new revision has been created so it kicks off a
build against any repositories (eg. SLES 12, Ubuntu 14.04, ...) defined in
the project. The build will send a request(s) to a build machines, which
fires up a build environment (VM, container, chroot, ...) downloads and
installs all the necessary build packages (from the spec file) in to that
build environment, runs the build, captures the output, and sends it back
to the repository server where it's served up as a repository you can add
to your machine and install from. If the build fails, the web gui will
show those failures and give you access to the build log.

OBS also allows users to create their own Home projects, where they can
fork packages, make updates and send pull requests back to the original
project. If you are versed in Linux, I'd recommend trying it out and
seeing what it can do. There's other tools similar to it (Fedora uses
Koji, Ubuntu has Launchpad), but OBS seems to be the best of the bunch. If
you'd like to try it out, they have a howto on their wiki:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Tutorial