This is more of a general question regarding the PASE/AIX folder IFS environment.

I'm wondering what type of setup people are using on the for their folder setup.
Where do you put the PASE/AIX Binaries and Libraries?

Where do you put your own open source programs?
Are people using /usr/local for open source programs?
Or should everything go into /QOpenSys/usr/local because /QOpenSys is the PASE/AIX file system?

Do you have /usr/local as a symbolic link to /QOpenSys/usr/local?
Or do you have it the other way? /QOpenSys/usr/local as a symbolic link to /usr/local?

Most folders under /usr are symbolic links to /QOpenSys/usr folders.
The /usr/local folder seems to be the exception.

The /usr/bin folder isn't symbolic linked, but that is because it contains links for the QSHELL binaries.

Does anyone keep /usr/local for QSHELL local processes?
That would keep /QOpenSys/usr/local for PASE/AIX processes.

Does anyone just use chroot and copy everything they are using into an entirely differently folder setup?
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/developer/general/change-root-part2/
https://bitbucket.org/litmis/ibmichroot

The only downside I can see is that you can't use /QSYS.LIB anymore.
Does anyone know if you can still run the /QSYS.LIB programs if you create a link to them inside the chroot'd folders?
Or would using chroot cause the symbolic links to /QSYS.LIB to be broken because it can no longer see the folder?

Chris Hiebert
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

This thread ...