Senate immigration bill a job killer:
By Mark C. Thies

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/09/4092273/senate-immigration-bill-a-job.html

I teach Chemical Engineering (ChE) at Clemson University, where I have been a professor for 28 years.

I just finished teaching the largest Thermodynamics class of my career and this fall will have my largest ChE Laboratory ever. Why? It turns out that America’s students are starting to get it. They know that 53 percent of recent college graduates are under/unemployed, and they want a job, a good job. So all across the Carolinas and the country, college students are moving in droves into engineering. At Clemson, enrollment in engineering is up 60 percent in five years.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/09/4092273/senate-immigration-bill-a-job.html#storylink=cpy

How’s the job market? Good – but not great. Our engineering students are getting offers, primarily because of baby-boomer retirements. But salary offers have been flat since the recession began. Groups as diverse as the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, and the Economic Policy Institute have all expressed concern about an oversupply of high-tech workers, which is reflected in the wage stagnation.
But no worries – the Senate Gang of 8 has ridden to the “rescue” with S. 744, the immigration bill you’ve heard so much about, determined to find an immigration problem that needs a “solution.” The Gang, composed of four Republicans and four Democrats, has gotten together with corporate America to eliminate the “problem” of America’s college graduates being able to get jobs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).

So what’s their plan? It’s hard to believe, but in this economy the Gangsters propose that every international student who earns a U.S. M.S. or Ph.D. in a STEM field be given an automatic work permit. But the Gangsters haven’t stopped there. They’ve piled on by making it so that a Ph.D. in any field also gets a lifetime work permit. And no general preference is given to hiring an equally qualified American. So much for encouraging America’s students to better themselves by going on to higher education.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/09/4092273/senate-immigration-bill-a-job.html#storylink=cpy

[...]

Eric wrote:
Who's Hiring H-1B Visa Workers? Not Microsoft or Google, but
offshore-outsourcing firms are

<http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/04/03/176134694/Whos-Hiring-H1-B-Visa-Workers-Its-Not-Who-You-Might-Think>