Some really good points there.

I do believe in 100% free trade, pure supply and demand, but it is a fact that there are some things that are absolutely minimum essential for national security, that is, for defending your family and your community from invasion, destruction, enslavement, abuse.

There are bigger global concerns and bigger looming global threats than the US is big that most people don't understand at all, and that's a bigger security concern. Anybody truly concerned about national security would be dreadfully concerned at the economic dismantling of the national infrastructure and the export of the manufacture of goods and services that would be bottom-rock essential in the event of an all out war ---or even a coup attempt by Obama's desired "civilian militia" that would be "equivalent to the military" (News flash: He wasn't talking about the leftist media whipping-post)

National security needs more population (not depopulation), needs infrastructure for developing domestic resources, needs manufacturing base capable of producing the instruments of self-defense, and in the Information Age, needs domestic computer chip production. It also has to have lots of native savvy even in the general population; the naive and gullible trained to be good little citizens are not as useful as independent thinkers.

In he offices of Microsoft once upon a time was often heard the term "NSA key". They were mum about some questions raised by some IT writers outside their circle, but note that to get into the China market the Beijing government drew a line in the sand and said NO WAY, until you give us ALL the source code for WIndows.

Maybe they did maybe they didn't.

I tutored a McDonald AIrcraft engineer once in calculus. I discovered somehow he had top secret clearance, and he told me they require it more as a defense against corporate espionage than foreign government defense-related espionage.

Stanislaw Lunev said after the Berlin Wall came down, the US got invaded with more Russian spies than ever. Even CNN has a story about the FBI saying this:

http://articles.cnn.com/2000-03-08/us/spy.threats_1_wednesday-freeh-china-permanent-trading-privileges-trade-secrets?_s=PM:US

But Lunev says that they are now concentrating most of their energy on getting /commercial/ secrets.

That's the importance of economics. You have to have a base population to produce submarines and gigantic freighters, and enough infrastructure and economy to sustain the whole enchilada. For a free people, you also need a critical mass of PRIVATE SECTOR economy to sustain independence from whatever band of hooligans is in power at any given time.

aec