From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:29 PM
To: Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Question about Windoze XP

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Paul Nelson <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK, I'll bite. What is RDP?

Telnet, except with encryption and graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

It's a lot more intelligent than VNC, which makes it easier on the
network, usuable over WAN. It's used to connect to Windows boxes -
only a single session on a desktop machine, but multiple sessions to
Windows Server editions are possible. Either in "Admin Mode" or
"Terminal Server Mode". The latter is used with thin clients (think
"Twinax screens") or normal clients for remote access or special
applications.

Citrix uses ICA, which does roughly the same, but is better in some aspects.

Since the console session does no longer exist on modern versions of
Windows, the switch has been renamed to /admin, as it has prioriety
over other sessions. The console session in downlevel versions of
Windows was the "local one", which you used when directly on the
machine. But you could access that one remotely. On Vista/WS2008,
Session 0 (Console) is no longer used for any kind of interactive work
- it just hosts services. One of the many security improvements in
Windows Vista.

tl;dr: It's the Windows Version of 5250