The administrative HTTP server is enough to kill the box :)
(kill:unusuable for anyone else because refreshing a 5250 screen takes half
a minute).

I think you definitely have an issue on those machines then. The only time
I have experienced that type of response time is when starting WAS, which
the HTTP admin server is not (at least it carries a fraction of the
footprint). In my experience the admin HTTP server has been quite
responsive (less than 5 seconds a screen) on 90% of the machines I work on
(I help a lot of people setup Apache and maintain it because of
www.rpg-xml.com).

I would agree with you that the i5 and HTTP admin IS NOT blazingly fast.
Maybe I need to raise my expectations :-) I guess I feel the slow down, in
some respects, is reasonable based on the fact that there is a lot going on
underneigth the covers and potentially a lot more jobs running on the i5
than the x3650. But I think we are getting back to price points but not
addressing all the feature points for our dollar. I won't disagree that I
would love to get an i5 for the same price as pSeries machines, but I think
we are getting more/better OS for the most part. I know it can get muddy
quick when comparing side by side, because as you have already noted, the i5
is lacking in some areas.

The problem is: We're wasting a lot of time on what i would consider
essential for the System i to stay on the market place - we're not GUI tool
vendor, we're an ERP vendor.

Couldn't agree with you more. I wish the framework your team developed
wasn't necessary. What does Microsoft have that is better though as it
concerns client server programming? (asking partially out of ignorance).
ASP.NET doesn't count (i.e. browser), because sometimes a "thick client"
_is_ needed (as your software house has found). How does Microsoft do
client server while making deployment the same as what you guys have
development? I think they are trying to remedy it with Silverlight, but
I'll wager a guess they are still "compiling" screens that need to be
downloaded when updates happen vs. having screen definitions being defined
on the fly as they come down from the server.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com