That is a very good point.  In fact there were several articles a few years
ago that talked about the increase in off-shoring due to a lack of
qualified personnel.  Whether that is true or not I don't know.

Statistically (and I would have to confirm this resource) I believe that we
face a worldwide shortage of IT workers.  That is, in a whole for the world
we are looking at a shortage of all IT workers.  And I think the same holds
true for within the United States.  By assuming that there is a shortage
does not mean that people who work in certain areas, in certain
technologies, or with certain companies will not face the threat of
replacement in an offshoring manner.  Many of us work for short-sighted US
and foreign owned companies that would jump on any trend whether it was
valid or not........

Personally I am not an advocate of closing the borders nor am I an advocate
of moving everything to the cheapest labor source.  I think that there huge
social and economic impacts for either extreme.  Also, I am not one to
support much of what Bill Gates says he needs for his  company.  Go look at
some of his comments regarding health coverage and legal costs..... :-)
But then again I'm biased

Back to Lim's point - these workers can cause some good and bad issues for
US workers but I don't think they should be lumped in with offshoring
practices.  Most H1B workers I have spoken to like it here and would like
to stay....

Michael Crump
Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us
from the support of a cause we believe to be just"  Abraham Lincoln

             Lim Hock-Chai
             <Lim.Hock-Chai@us
             amobility.com>                                             To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             12/20/2005 11:31                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: Lest ye get too complacent

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

There is a big different between H1 visa employee and company that move
factory to another country for cheaper labor.

A lot of people seems to have a misconception that company pay less for
H1 visa or green card holder employee.  I myself haven't seem that yet.
I'm a green card holder and I know my pay is at the market level.  Does
H1 employee create more competition in the US work force?  Yes.
However, are they being pay less than US citizen?  Nope.

The part that you really need to watch for is when company move factory
to foregin country.  That is where company can get cheap labor.  This is
especially true for software developer.  After all, shipping cost is
cheap for this line of work.