Vern,

The file of numbers to be called is already produced on the iSeries in the IFS. US Netcom's software requires you to use specific file name extensions and move the file into a special PC directory. Their software monitors this directory and automatically loads new files to the device. Yes the iSeries can do this part with QNTC. It can't get the results as you have to use their GUI that only goes to printer.

US Netcom doesn't provide any command line (DOS) access so I would have to write a VB program which is what they suggested. They did provide a couple of DLLs that could be used to load the call list and get it to create an access DB of the results.

It just looks a lot more maintainable and reliable if the PC is removed from the process altogether. The iSeries doesn't freeze or BSOD like a PC, has lots better logging, and you can debug programs much more easily.

Everything is basically a batch process (load the list, dial the last at a given time, produce the results file) so why add another layer? Also, their software doesn't provide much for confirming that the file has been loaded. With an iSeries application and proper error handling the status can be driven right to the user. This isn't like some n-tier client server apps where you need the workload distribution or management.

Roger