I ran across an interesting letter to the Editor in my latest InfoWorld
(08/25/03).  It's from David Chow, CEO of ShaoLin Microsystems and Chairman
of Hong Kong Linux Industry Association.  In the letter he begins by
defending Linux as more than just a "commodity system for low-end, PC-based
hardware".  Here is the second to last paragraph:

"My company offerrs OS (kernel modules) integrated management solutions.
IBM is also pushing Linux on pSeris, iSeries, and zSeries.  On behalf of
the Hong Kong Linux Industry Association, we've also received a donation
from IBM for a zSeries mainframe capable of running thousands of copies of
Linux with management tools that are tightly integrated with the mainframe
hardware and Linux OS.  IBM has been pushing Linux on mainframes for server
consolidations for a couple of years."

Nothing much exciting there, then came the final paragraph:

"Sun seems to be the only vendor that is still pushing proprietary Unix
systems hard.  In fact, I am receiving marketing funds and proposals from
IBM and their partners (that market iSeries and pSeries major) to convert
existing i/p/z Series customers to Linux.  This is because IBM doesn't see
any new revenue models that it can dig out from existing customers who are
using proprietary platforms."

What exactly is involved in pushing a customer to Linux?

Bill