From: Jim Damato [mailto:jdamato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 11:00 AM
To: 'Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: What's Access good for? (was - How to hack a Voting machine compu
ter)

>Walden
>...in my opinion Access is good for only
>one thing... (hmm, no it's not good the
>that, maybe it's)... (no not that either,
>perhaps)... OK, Access is NOT GOOD FOR
>ANYTHING!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Access is a great way for users implement stable,
supported applications.  Let me explain the process:

1)      User requests application from IS department.  IS dept. declines due
to priorities and resource constraints.
2)      Superuser (i.e. loose cannon, hacker) develops Access database for
application.
3)      Access application becomes a critical part of the business.
4)      Access application goes multi-user.
5)      Superuser quits, gets fired, is promoted or transferred.
6)      Access application repeatedly fails due to multi-user instability
and/or absence of Superuser support, including secret manual processes.
7)      IS department is taken to task for "systems failures" or dragged in
on a regular basis to support the application.
8)      Management forces IS to produce a stable replacement, or IS takes it
upon themselves to provide a replacement in order to stem the flow of
support demands.

Therefore, Access is an invaluable user tool -- a lever.

I'm so glad to see companies providing Access to every desktop user.

(see also:  Excel)

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration