Joshua is apparently just a lap-dog for Oracle.  He serves to promote
someone's agenda (mainly Larry Ellison's), and he (Joshua) must be clueless
about the  functionality provided by JDE World software on the AS/400 and
iSeries.

I know several shops (some of them are Fortune 500 companies) that will
probably be running JDE World software for the next five to ten years, maybe
longer.  Some (if not all) of them have source escrow agreements with JDE,
so even if JDE shuts down they can still maintain the back-office code if
necessary.

Consider that one of them had been running a Wang VS COBOL Mfg,
Distribution, & Accounting package on their Wang system for the last 20
years.   In 1999, mainly because of Wang's inability to handle dates
properly after the turn of the century (with no fix, since Wang was no
longer supporting the O/S), they converted to JDE and they hope to get the
same mileage out of their AS/400 using JDE software.

Reasons for NOT getting away from JDE World:

1) The initial investment in the iSeries and the purchase of the JDE
software

2) Investment that they have made in customization and add-ins to their
iSeries software (JDE and others, like EDI translators)

3) Some of them have only gone live on the JDE World software in the last 3
years, so they haven't even had time yet to amortize the costs in converting
to iSeries and JDE.

4) Last, but certainly not least, the stability of the AS/400 (iSeries)
platform, data integrity, and recoverability of the system in the event of
disaster is often a matter of minutes or hours, NOT days, as is often the
case with other platforms.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935