I must have missed something.

"However, Ian Jarman, IBM's iSeries product marketing manager, points out
that the iSeries' interactive processing provides a highly
performance-optimized environment for running order entry, similar to the
much more expensive CICS on a mainframe or Tuxedo on Unix. Rochester only
began offering the "server" pricing when some customers said they didn't
need IBM's traditional 5250 capabilities but just wanted to put some
applications on the Web. In effect, IBM discounted the machine for customers
who didn't need interactive.

"The new pricing structure, Jarman says, comes in response to customer
requests for IBM to get rid of interactive features, limits, and levels.
What Rochester is providing now is two simple options, Enterprise Edition
with huge increases in price/performance for customers who need 5250
capabilities, and Standard Edition, sharply discounted for customers who
don't need the performance-optimized computing environment.

And when did the "standard" for iSeries become 5250-less? Because Big Blue
wished it?  "Performance-optimized"?  I'm laughing so hard I'm going to hurt
myself (by rolling into a server tower and knocking it down).

This bombast has to be very hard to pronounce this with a straight face.
You tell me that IBM doesn't have marketing?  Wrong: they have plenty of
marketing; they're selling this crap to their existing customers instead of
hardware to new ones.  I bleed blue-and-white stripes when cut, but this
dissembling is disgusting.

-rf