To the guys that are bashing the 400....

You ever notice how in the last few years everyone's excuse if you call a
utility or reputable service company; is
"The computer is slow today, I am sorry, please hold on a sec"

Ever wonder how they did it in the old days with those nasty green screens
on those really slow computers?
sub-second answers? When did that not become okay to deliver? After the
big-dogs approved the first massive Windows expenditure?

Throughput baby. The same way it's kind of hard to beat the bandwidth of a
tape, it's hard to beat 3270 or 5250 design.
Think those engineers were dumb or what?

Anyone who has ever programmed on CICS has seen the light. You never look
back. Only if I had Bill's influence....(dreamer)

I hope Microsoft does not catch wind of this message, they might correct too
many built in performance inhibitors....

I don't get it. I really don't.
I spend WAY more time working on windows computers doing things like what I
am doing now, using it as an appliance.
Hey, it's hard to beat the convenience of near-free user apps for home use.
Browser is a good buy!

But the business stuff is not running here. I don't want my social on one of
these things. (too late I guess)

I read an article about $1million plus SQL servers. Who in their right mind
is doing this?
Am I the only one that thinks No-named research firms have lost all
credibility?

Just where do I submit that SQL job, come again?
What software is backing that up, come again?
I CAN NOT believe this phenomena, thread after thread, site after site....
Oh yeah, lets backup using java baby! new tools in the goody box.
I hoped Y2k would correct all this mess...I would be there with a working
machine Jan 01.

Oh, and I did not grow up saying "I either want to be a fireman or an OS/400
programmer" But it's fun reading the bandwagon emails....
It's just more fun and plentiful on OS/400 than MVS or VSE, it's where my
nimble fingers seem to call home.

It's a living.

Oh, and for you guys that think your code should run on all platforms, that
is like saying the stock car should be able to do quarter mile runs just as
good as a funny car, or it's substandard. Please?
I try to spend 40 hours a week on multi-platform code, I feel just saying
this.

The OS/400 is not catching up to *nix (puke, barf), it's widening it's
target customer zone. My sandbox is bigger now, want to come and check it
out?

Many AS/400 shops have no clue where their HTTP server is, but an awful lot
really care a lot that it works right!
*nix? Linux? - That is about the dumbest thing I read in all of those
messages.

Now, if we could just work on that price....
I do agree that IBM needs to *CALC what the heck entry level means, and keep
that decision AWAY FROM MARKETING AND SALES.
If those dingbats don't make the thing affordable ASAP these locals in the
food-stamp belt WONT UPGRADE! In that case, Windows is a sweat & sour deal
baby! Just put up with the reboots & hangs, it's what we can afford.

Ah...that felt good....

Mark Villa in Charleston SC