Al,

Your first link shows, to me, the good news and the bad news.  The map is
the good news.  It shows many Arab countries lining up against Afghanistan.

The list of weaponry, which I skimmed, is the bad news.  There is an
implication that terrorism can be defeated strictly by amassing the proper
arsenal.  I think that grossly underestimates the enemy, ignores the lessons
of the Vietnam war, and ignores the issues of the root causes of the
problem.

It appears, at least to me, that we are facing an enemy that is far more
passionate about their cause than the Viet Cong, and who are willing to
sacrifice themselves like the kamikaze of WW II.  And who may be able to get
their hands on nuclear or bio-chemical weapons of mass destruction.

I think it is correct to view the world as a collection of countries, which
either support us or don't.  (But at the same time, the world is a
collection of peoples, within those countries, which support different forms
of terrorism to varying degrees.)

I think it is appropriate to be planning a Gulf-style war against these
countries.  Hopefully an even more precise war, with fewer Allied and
civilian deaths.  However, each new martyr that is created will just further
embolden the enemy.

And I question, if this is the sole military approach, whether it could
possibly be successful against that many countries and against dedicated
guerilla warfare, in any kind of reasonable time-frame.  In view of the
risks, I would go so far as to say I think it is wildly optimistic (i.e.
mighty risky) to think/hope that terrorism could be defeated, if this is the
sole military approach taken and/or the root causes of the problem are not
addressed.

jt