Priorities

Locating & Rescuing Survivors
Victim Families & Victim Businesses Recovery Assistance
Mental Health of everyone, starting with helping parents deal with children
reaction
Support National Leadership identify perpetrators
Review security & intelligence priorities

What's needed is
Blood donations
Financial donations to Relief organizations
volunteer services if relevant skills, or sign up for Red Cross training
prayer
hang US flag at half mast

People who want to go to NYC to participate in the rescue operation or
provide other services to help may send their name / address / contact phone
# / e-mail address / special skills (such as medical, construction,
transportation, lodging, food) to emergencyresponse@dc-cares.org or call
202-289-7378 ext 137

FEMA web site has advice on how to talk to children

In addition to other relief effort places listed in other posts
There are the rescue workers who were at WTC when the later disasters
occurred such as tower coming down that they did not expect
Donations may be made to the
International Association of Firefighters
1754 New York Ave
Washington DC 20006

National Association for Victim Assistance
send donations to
NOVA
1730 Park Road NW
Washington DC 20010

What the Salvation Army is doing
http://www.salvationarmy-usaeast.org/disaster/
or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY

Catholic Charities USA 1-800919-9338
P O Box 25168
Alexandria VA 22313-9788

Other arrangements are being made for people who need office or other space
SPCA was listed at one site but I find it hard to believe there were many
animal victims other than at homes where their owners will not be returning.

Some ISPs - when we sign on, we have option of making an immediate donation &
it will be deducted from credit card we use for the ISP service & we have
choice of various places we can make the donations to.

>  have there been any IS Disaster Declarations in lower Manhatten??
>
>  Don in DC

I watched TV for 15 hours on Sep 11 then turned it off a little after midnte
& not yet reconnected.

My theory on the group that took credit for this, then later reversed
themselves & said no we didn't, was related to all the bomb threats against
big buildings around the world ... they had nothing to do with it, but
initial reaction was to make trouble, then wiser heads at the group decided
to distance themselves from being blamed.

Amid all the people in shock & dontations to Red Cross etc.
Shopping Centers closed all over, various entertainment places, some
factories suspended second shift
In Evansville we had some unhealthy responses.
Panic buying of gasoline & other supplies.
Teenager at traffic jam holding up sign "Honk if you hate Palestinians" was
apprehended by Indiana State Police.
There is a Catholic school & Muslim Mosque right next to each other ... the
Catholic school was evacuated due to a bomb threat against the Mosque that
was phoned into the school but not the mosgue & it turned out to be a hoax.
www.courierpress.com

Mayor of NY declared disaster area, later Feds agreed.
I also heard similar about DC.

Dun & Bradsteet sent out notification of what zip codes were hit by this, so
that if your customer / vendor address list includes any of these ...

WTC itself is 10048

Businesses located south of 14th street in New York City
varying degrees of disruption = zip codes
10002 10004 10005 10006 10007 10012 10015 10013 10014 10041 10048 10279 10281

Cell Phone Service in NY disrupted but
Survivors trapped in buildings allegedly making cell phone calls
Approx 300 rescuers are missing & believed lost ... they were at the World
Trade Center when the towers collapsed.

Media personnel loaning their cell phones to survivors to call home & say
they got out Ok ... thankfully the media had the good taste to NOT
re-broadcast those private conversations.

I did learn that the VAN headed for George Washington Bridge had been checked
out by FBI & Port Authority & that it did NOT contain explosives.

There's a Reuters story that the FBI have identified a cell of 50 Bin Laden
terrorists responsible for Tuesday.  40 of them have been accounted for,
including those that died in the Komakazi & 10 are still at large.

Apparently there were 3-6 hijackers per plane & they used ceramic knives,
which are known to not be seen by metal detectors.  27 suspected terrorists
got flight training in the USA, some of them in Florida.  2 of the hijackers
of the plane that hit the Pentagon were on an FBI border watch list but
managed to enter the USA anyway.

Each of the 4 teams included a certified pilot including some had previously
flown for Saudi Airlines.  Some of the hijackers were traveling on Middle
Eastern Passports.

FBI are also questioning friends & family of Bin Laden in Boston.

German police are searching homes of people who have financially contributed
to Bin Laden organization

Photo of Manhattan from the Terra satellite

http://us.news2.yimg.com/f/42/31/7m/dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20010912/ts/i
mdf12092001122907a.html

Really "good viewpoint shot" (we need better terminology for good picture of
bad event) from the street almost directly below the second strike. Click on
left side video linke "Hijacked plane hits second tower"

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/WTC_MAIN.html

> From: randy.mangham@home.com (Randy Mangham)
>
>  http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63765,00.html
>
>  Unfortunately, my current client is associated with some of the largest
>  tenants in the Trade Center or immediately adjacent and we have been put on
>  alert for any assistance we can offer in business recovery.
>
>  Randy Mangham
>  Pacific Crest Consulting
>  San Diego CA

Cut & Paste from some e-newsletters

Someone was asking me about Alan Greenspan.

MIDRANGE COMMUNITIES OFFER HELP AFTER TERRORIST ATTACKS
<A HREF="http://www.as400network.com/nwn/story.cfm?ID=11377">
as400network.com/nwn/story.cfm?ID=11377</A>
Midrange discussion group Midrange-L ( <A HREF="http://www.midrange.com">
midrange.com</A> ) was
flooded yesterday with reaction to the terrorist attacks on the
World Trade Center and Pentagon. Among the outpourings of grief,
anger, sympathy, and concern, a few list members wrote in to offer
the use of their servers and technical expertise to companies in the
areas affected that need help getting back to business as usual.
This morning, Bob Cancilla, managing director of the Ignite/400 list
( <A HREF="http://www.ignite400.org">ignite400.org</A> ), wrote in offering
the list's resources
to companies affected by the tragedy. For more information, see the
lists' archives at their respective Web sites.

Ziff Davis Coverage of Terrorist Attacks
1. TRAGEDY STRIKES INTERACTIVE BUSINESSES IN WTC
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14361

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14361,00.asp
</A>

2. THREE TECH EXECS DEAD IN ATTACKS
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14408

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14408,00.asp
</A>

3. TRADE CENTER ATTACK KNOCKS OUT COMMUNICATIONS
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14360

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14360,00.asp
</A>

4. N+I SHOW FLOOR SHUT DOWN FOLLOWING ATTACKS
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14400

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14400,00.asp
</A>

5. TALEBAN SITE HACKED
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14392

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14392,00.asp
</A>

6. WEB BECOMES KEY INTERFACE FOR AIRLINES
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14390

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14390,00.asp
</A>

7. NEWS SITES FALL DOWN
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14387

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14387,00.asp
</A>

8. VOICE NETWORKS OVERLOADED, DATA LINES FUNCTIONAL
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14363

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14363,00.asp
</A>

9. DISASTER RECOVERY SERVICES COME ONLINE
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14381

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14381,00.asp
</A>

10. NET SITES HELP SURVIVORS, FAMILIES REUNITE
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14380

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14380,00.asp
</A>

11. WIRED WORKERS TURN ON TV FOR TERRORISM NEWS
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14373

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14373,00.asp
</A>

12. BILL MACHRONE: WHAT HAVE WE LOST?
<A
HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1032%2526a%253D14383,00.

asp">extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1032%2526a%253D14383,00.asp</A>

13. WIRELESS PROVIDERS MOURN VICTIMS
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14369

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14369,00.asp
</A>

14. BUSINESS, TECH ANNOUNCEMENTS STAGGERED BY ATTACKS
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14366

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14366,00.asp
</A>

15. PAYPHONES JAMMED IN NEW YORK CITY
<A
HREF="http://www.interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14362

,00.asp">interactiveweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1825%2526a%253D14362,00.asp
</A>

Disaster recovery services come online

Special Report: Many companies affected by the terrorist
attacks rely on backup services provided by disaster
recovery companies who offer services designed precisely
for this eventuality.
http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?138895:6771196

I do not believe that the above quote is valid.

Sep 11 disaster is of a magnitude in terms of victims above that of your
typical earth quake or tornado or hurricane ... the only thing I could
imagine worse in terms of casualities would be tidal wave from undersea
earthquake or other cause.

From:   Glenn-Ericson@att.net (Glenn Ericson)
Want to be a contributor and know a little about what is open & Closed?

NY Times
CLOSINGS AND SERVICE CHANGES
The following are closed or suspended today:
- All U.S. Financial Markets
- All U.S. Airports
- Businesses in Manhattan below 14th St.
- New York City Public Schools
- New York City Parochial Schools
- Empire State Building
- New York City State and Federal Courts, including Jury Duty. For
information call 1-800-692-6878 (NY-COURTS)
- Metropolitan Museum
- New York Public Library
- Fordham University
- St. John's University
- Mailbox Pickup (Post offices are open)
- Street cleaning
- Alternate side of the street parking rules

The following are open today:
- Newark Public Schools
- Post Offices
- CUNY schools

-----
Donations
The United Way of New York and the New York Community Trust have
established a fund to help the victims of the attacks and their
families. The September Eleventh Fund will provide immediate support to
established emergency assistance agencies. Anyone wishing to contribute
may send their donations in care of United Way, 2 Park Ave, New York,
New York, 10016, or call: (212) 251-4035.
Donations are also being accepted on United Way of New York City's Web site:
http://www.uwnyc.org.

Glenn