Rob,

When working with VTLs you can send your "cartridges" to a remote vault, let say IBM Cloud Object Storage or AWS S3 buckets, and set a non-erase policy. You can do the same locally with Spectrum Protect Plus and set a  retention policy.

The point is... some VTLs does not support Deduplication index backup, and an index corruption/deletion could destroy your backups, so you need to replicate the cartridges you want to protect to a second VTL, use a physical tape and remove from library (most VTLs support tape-out), or use a second backup mechanism.

ie: When working in the cloud (IBM PowerVS) we use different backup mechanisms: VTL for daily and weekly backups, Snapshots for change management, Exports to OVA once a month (option 21 alternative), and backup to disk to Object Storage bucket in a different vendor once a week.

It depends on the risks you want prevent and your budget.