Well, it depends. :-)

Prompt CHGTCPDMN and look at the option 'Host name search priority'

If that says *REMOTE then your DNS (Page down to see those) will be used FIRST and if an entry is found it will be used. If not found then the HOSTS table will be used.

If that says *LOCAL Then this HOSTS file is used first, if found, and if not then the system will query DNS Servers.

What you probably got hurt by is that somewhere you reference a host named ABC24. In the original entry that resolved to 10.1.14.170. When you changed it to ABC24.XYZ.LOCAL then ABC24 no longer exists. Problem! Remember that th Domain name in CHGTCPDMN and the Domain search list there are NOT used for HOSTS file entries, ONLY for DNS lookups.

So what you likely WANTED to do was add ABC24.XYZ.LOCAL rather than Replaceing ABC24.

NOW: BEST PRACTICE: Have the name of your system in your HOSTS table such as

10.1.1.1 YourIBMi.Yourdomain.tld
YourIBMi.

In that order.

Note that in CHGTCPDMN YourIBMi should be the Host name and Yourdomain.tld should be the Domain name.

No other entries. Let DNS do that so that when changes are made, they aren't your problem. :-) BUT even when DNS is not available your system will know who it is and services will start happily.

DrF