hey all,

i am getting back to work on my 170 lately and have been trying to identify if there are any tape backup options, but it seems that i am stuck in an unwinnable situation. my ASP is fairly large at around 30GB and while i can currently get by on two or three 2GB QIC tapes, this won't be a viable backup strategy for much longer.

i currently have options 2729 and 2749 installed in my system, and as far as i can tell based on the system builder these are my best (maybe only, it's been a while since i really read through it so i'm going partially off memory) way to hang a SCSI tape drive off the PCI bus and have OS400 recognize it. problem is, it seems that all of the tape drives that are officially supported by these cards are either very large, very expensive, very broken, or some combination of those three. i have a few regular SCSI tape drives that i have tried and none are recognized by the system, one from IBM and two not. it would be wonderful if i could find a solution that is portable to more than just this machine but at this point i'll settle for being able to put a full system backup on a single tape :)

appreciate your guidance as always!