Hello:
"I suspect that a major problem with kids today is that they're taughteverything in only one or two languages, and all of it on desktop
systems."
This isn't true at all.  I know from the recent student meet and greets organized the students are coming out of school with a variety of programming languages:   RPG, PHP, C++, ,Net, node.js, Phyton, HTML, javascript, Java, SQL.  Can't say that I've seen any school teaching Cobol though.   Most students that I know use laptops.
Regards,Laura

Laura Ubelhor

President

Consultech Services, Inc.