Patrik:

Disk fragmentation does not exist in IBM i due to single level storage, so
that's not an issue. If there is an imbalance of disk utilization IBMi
will over time balance that out all on its own. That's not to say that
files themselves can't be degraded due to deleted records. Most access
paths are set to immediate update, so if there are ones that are not in
use, it helps to get rid of them to lessen overhead, but again on current
systems I doubt that will have much of an effect on performance.

If disk units were added to an existing system we would run STRASPBAL for
capacity and the system would then move things around based on its own
understanding. If you really want to balance based on usage, then you need
to run TRCASPBAL first so the system can collect the information it needs
to balance that way. I've not done that in many years since the storage is
just too fast to notice any degradation based on usage. With the new use
of NvME and SAN storage I have not done either of these things in quite
some time.

On your system even though it is older you would be able to see these
things in action if you are able to add a drive.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect