I developed these tools on the System/38. Try running the commands below on
a single program and display file, then look at the OUTFILE's. You'll see
how everything fits together. With multiplier libraries, you'll have to
run these commands multiple times, once for each library. Your apps to
process these files must use qualified object names when linking DSPPGMREF
and DSPFD files.

It's very easy to build a tool that looks for level checks--use DSPFD to
get the PF/LF/DSPF file information and DSPPGMREF for the program
references. Then you read through the DSPPGMREF file, find the associated
file in the DSPFD file, and check the hash. If equal, you're good; if not,
you'll get a level check. FYI, my standard is simple: LVLCHK(*NO) =
today's your last day.
DSPPGMREF PGM(%SST(&PGMLIB 11 10)/%SST(&PGMLIB 1 10)) +

OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OBJTYPE(*PGM *MODULE *SQLPKG +

*SRVPGM) OUTFILE(XXP727)

DSPFD FILE(%SST(&PGMLIB 11 10)/%SST(&PGMLIB 1 10)) +

TYPE(*RCDFMT) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(XXP728) +

OUTMBR(*FIRST *REPLACE)

Finding source and object out-of-sync is something you can do easily in
V4R5 (IIRC). The source library/file/member is stored in each OPM program
object and it's merely a matter of comparing the compile information to
what's in DSPFD *MBRLIST. If the source last changed date is greater than
the source reference timestamp in the object, the source has been changed
but not (successfully) recompiled. The ILE environment creates modules
first and link-edits them into programs, so accomplishing this result today
is more complex because (1) you could have multiple modules in a program
and (2) using API's a better way of doing this. In the contemporary
environment, I think you can do all of this through SQL's system files.

DSPOBJD +
OBJ(&OBJLIB/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*FILE *PGM *MODULE +
*SRVPGM *CMD) DETAIL(*SERVICE) +
OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(XXP729) +
OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)
DSPFD +
FILE(&SRCLIB/&SRCFILE) TYPE(*MBR) +
OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) FILEATR(*PF) +
OUTFILE(XXP730) OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)

For both of these tools, I added features to recompile missing or
out-of-date objects. In the Dark Ages of pre-RISC, when compiles were
slow, I'd fire these off, go have a burger, and come back to fresh
compiles. The level-check code still works today and I still use it.

HTH.