Hello Åke

A quick Google revealed that Vipre is a cybersecurity company. When you mention problems sometimes with DOCX or XLSX, I wonder if Vipre has a rule based on the size of attachments - especially about uncompressed size. DOCX and XLSX are compressed archive, basically PKZIP - when you open one in a text editor, the first 2 characters are PK.

We have an application, apparently, that checks for the uncompressed size of ZIP files. It used to treat these Office Open XML (the Microsoft DOCX, etc.) as normal PKZIP and blocked things that should not have.

So the sporadic behavior would happen if Vipre does the same - smaller, no problem, larger, maybe blocked. The size of the DOCX or XLSX does not seem to be a problem, but is you open it with 7-Zip or other such tool, you'll see much larger sizes in the contents.

Anyhow, that's my wild guess based on the behavior you describe, brief as it is.

Cheers
Vern