At a prior job, I used CA Plex (originally named Obsidian) ...basically the
multi-platform GUI follow-on to CA/2E.

**TL;DR**
I thought it was pretty cool, when used properly. Unfortunately, using it
for 5250 screens handicapped us considerably.

**Longer story**
When Plex first came out, it came with the OBASE model library. You can
definitely see 2E's DNA in the OBASE design. But it was soon realized that
OBASE wasn't a good fit for Plex's OO nature. Thus, the PATTERNS(?) model
library was released.

PATTERNS was/is very flexible and powerful. At a conference years back, I
saw some really cool things built in Plex with it.
But the 5250 UI was not supported by PATTERNS, only the original OBASE.
PATTERNS supported RPGIV as a DB stored procedure language; they even added
support for RPGIV free-format and ILE procedures.

One thing that stuck with me was a discussion around an article about the
adoption of 4GL/ARAD tools like Plex. Basically, they have a much higher
rate of adoption outside the US. The article's author attributed the
difference to the "cowboy" mentality of Americans. :D

Can I write "better" code by hand, than what Plex would generate. Sure.
But not nearly as quickly; when I'm honest about it. Even with copy &
paste (and tweaking, changing names...)

Myself and one of our Plex contractors came up with a subset of the
PATTERNS library that we could use for DB access/reporting from a 5250 UI.
It was pretty func to do and even more more was coming up with new patterns
that we could then re-use.

I'd say Plex was ahead of its time, given the proliferation of package
repositories like npm and nuget for languages other than RPG...

Charles