This interactive program from menu to first display, was taking /an
average/ of five minutes when I started on it.

Be careful Alan! the users may be banking on those 5 minutes to grab a cup
of coffee.
I had stumbled on a job that was in "RUN" status for lots of minutes,
found the program, and
saw the program was looking for "active records" on the non-keyed
physical. I changed to logical, and
the program went from 8 minutes to start to sub-second. MAN, the user
was P.O. at me.