Coworker found a note where there was a patch available for the release we're on to be good for 7.5. there's also a newer release with it's own patch to be good to go. Since I gave him less than a week's notice he went with the release we're at and the patch.
Running it on 7.5 now.

12 of 15 lpars on 7.5 now. Including several lpars with multiple Domino 12.0 servers. Last three lpars running 7.4 are on our P8 which we're getting quoted to upgrade to a P10 and replacing one of our P9's for it's own P10. Both will be using SAN storage.

Still plan on using internal disk for VIOS.
Did I mention that IBM's mds utility was broke? It recommended a patch for the current VIOS internal disks we are using and had a link to Fix Central. However the link isn't working. Opened another case. Of course, since the issue is with VIOS internal disks IBM insists on playing badminton with me.
IBM (something to the effect of) We don't think this is a vios issue but an issue with mds. What do you think?
Me (something to the effect of) If IBM can't figure it out how the <blazes> am I supposed to figure that out?
At which point IBM offers to send me the fix directly and bypass the mds to Fix Central link. Nice.
However my windows of opportunity to apply this fix is gone until December.