What you're trying to do really isn't clear to me, because you are using
the wrong syntax. :)

Given your example data, you only want to update the 1 row in table2 that
has the highest D value for a given (A,B)?
(1, 1, 15, 27) --> (1, 1, 99, 27)

In order to update one table's value from another table, you have to use a
subselect
So initially, something like so...

UPDATE table2
SET C = ( select table1.C
from table1
WHERE table2.A = table1.A
AND table2.B = table1.B
);

That would update C in every row in table2 with the value of C from table1.
Note that there must be 1 and only 1 matching row in table1, otherwise
you'd get an error.

So let's consider the rest of your requirement, I think this would give you
what you are looking for
UPDATE table2
SET C = ( select table1.C
from table1
WHERE table2.A = table1.A
AND table2.B = table1.B
)
WHERE (A,B, D) in (SELECT A, B, MAX(D)
FROM table2
GROUP BY A, B);

Honestly, I never used UPDATE for this, now that IBM has provided the MERGE
statement, it's a lot cleaner syntax in my opinion.

MERGE INTO table2 dst
using (select t2.A, t2,B, max(t2.D) as maxD , t1.C
from table2 t2 join table1 t1
on t2.A = t1.A and t2.B = t1.B
group by t2.A, t2.B, t1.C
) src
on dst.A = src.A and dst.B = src.B, dst.d = src.maxd
when matched
then update set C = src.C;

HTH,
Charles

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 4:12 PM Jack Woehr via MIDRANGE-L <